Glynis for Glynis

I just got such a lovely note from my mother-in-law! As you may know, all the sock patterns from Sock Innovation are named for family and friends. My mother-in-law, Glynis, has now been the lucky recipient of her namesake socks. I have to share her email and photos with you.

Glynis socks

She writes:

Hi Cookie

The famed ‘Glynis’ socks are here! Attached are photos of the knitter Dorothy G of Mad About Ewe, and the comfy and beautiful socks on my twinkle toes out on our deck at home. Lovely!

I’m wearing them at the moment – ooh-la-la – so good.

Love,

Glynis

What a generous friend! Here is Dorothy outside of Mad About Ewe Fine Yarns in Nanaimo, BC, Canada.

Glynis

Have you done any gift knitting lately?

8 Responses to “Glynis for Glynis”

1. Teenuh says:

I totally knit more ruffle scarves for Weenuh’s teachers. And one for my mother in law. And one for a gal in my HMR class that’s also a teacher. I got the cutest picture of her wearing it: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Teenuh/frilly-flirty-saucy-swirls-knit-scarf-6

2. Shirley says:

Isn’t Dorothy’s sweater gorgeous? She is an amazing knitter.

3. When Dorothy and I were out front of the store to take a few photos, no less than 4 ladies stopped to say what nice socks they were – 1 tried to buy them! No way!

4. Maria Lloyd says:

Yes, yes, yes, yes! This is a terrific knitting book. Not only are there over a dozen be-yoootiful socks to knit from patterns, but Ms. Cookie gives you the inside scoop on how to innovate (design) your own socks.So if you have any of those wonderful stitch dictionary books around, and if you can construct a simple pair of plain socks, the author tells you how to use that knowledge (with toes and heels variations included in the book) to create your original designs.Which patterns look right? How will spiral lace look on a foot versus chevron or lozenge patterns? What about texture, variegated yarns? You can see how these work up and design accordingly. If you aren’t completely sure if your chosen stitch pattern will work, look at one of the examples to figure out if the pattern you like will give you the effect you are going after. Much discussion here on why certain stitches work the way they do.After I read this book, I immediately designed a pair of socks with a lace cuff using variegated yarn, using a lacy pattern from a German knitting stitch dictionary and they came out very nicely. This is just the book we sock knitters have been wanting to have.

5. Olin Park says:

From Jillian Moreno, knitty.com This book lets you peek behind the scenes at secret sock societies–23 women’s sock patterns that were originally designed for sock clubs and KALs. There are a tremendous variety of patterns and yarns used. Because independent designers designed the patterns and many of the yarns used are from independent dyers, there is a remarkable variety of patterns. My favorites are Acorn Stash by Anne Hanson, Ariel by Debbie O’Neil and Reims by Alyson Johnson–all wonderfully lacy, complex-ish socks, my personal sock obsession right now. A huge, helpful section in this book talks about the different ways to adjust the sock patterns for size. Most sock patterns, in general, are written for one size. These clever authors give us 6 ways to adjust for our own feet from changing gauge by changing needle size to adding a small repeat between pattern repeats.

6. Son Bush says:

7. Gold Price says:

Unconventional, rule-breaking socks are part and parcel in this unique guide to sock knitting that includes 15 new sock patterns. The skills of the average sock knitter are increased through design exploration and advanced stitch manipulation, treating the sock as a knitted canvas where elements are strategically and intentionally placed. New designs of floral lace patterns, angular geometric shapes, and unusual cables are presented along with detailed instructions on modifications to suit needs and aesthetics. The incredible range of style and complexity in this guide runs from sweet and simple to delightfully imaginative.

8. Wonderful socks to knit — clear charts and written instructions. Beautiful photography including good closeups of all the socks. I’ll be knitting a lot of these patterns. I’ve heard people complain that this book contains too many previously published patterns (some of them free) — and it is true that a few are re-published. But for someone like me who hadn’t purchased any of the patterns prior to this book, this publication is just fine. Highly recommended for those with “sock love”.